I have been a licensed massage therapist since 2006, and I have over 2000 hours of clinical training in the massage and yoga arts. I specialize in a therapeutic style of bodywork that blends deep tissue massage with yoga therapy to help you achieve your pain management and mobility goals.
I am a firm believer in movement medicine. I teach a version of stretch therapy that uses curious movement and graded exposure therapy to facilitate communication between your myofascial and nervous systems, and to safely introduce your body/brain to new or challenging ranges of motion. My goal as a yoga teacher is not to make you as flexible as you can be (flexibility is overrated), but to help you balance your flexibility and stability needs so that you can move freely through the world, confident that your body will support you.
My goal as a massage therapist is not to “fix” you, but to prove to you that you were never broken. Your body is a powerful self-healer, and I am here to assist it in its natural pursuit of Having Your Back. My continuing education courses are designed to help patients and providers identify roadblocks to healing, create space where space is needed, build strength where strength is needed, and ultimately, to help you heal yourself.
- 2019 Summer, Fall, and Winter: Narrative Medicine for Pain Care Providers (An Online Continuing Education Platform)
- 2019 Summer: Assisted Stretch for Yoga Instructors, Manual Therapists, and Certified Fitness Professionals (Breath and Body Yoga)
- 2019 Winter: Pain Summit Co-Presenter: “Clinical Stories and the Power of Storytelling” (San Diego Pain Summit)
- 2018 Fall, 2018 Spring, and 2017 Fall: Pain Management Mentorship Program for Licensed Manual Therapy Providers (Rising Spiral Wellness Center- West Lake Location)
Education and Certifications:
- Texas Department of State Health Services registered continuing education provider CE# 1928
- Texas Department of State Health Services registered massage instructor MI# 3328
- Texas Department of State Health Services registered massage therapist MT#113951
- 2017-2019: Narrative Medicine, Graduate Certification (Columbia University, NYC)
- 2017: Evaluation and Treatment of Shoulder Injuries: Brian Utting (Austin)
- 2017: Certified in Myoskeletal Techniques: Posture and Pain Specialist (Freedom From Pain Institute, Oklahoma City)
- 2017: Resistance Flexibility Workshop, Dr. Bob Cooley (Austin)
- 2016: Certified in Myoskeletal Techinques: Upper Body Specialist (Freedom From Pain Institute, Oklahoma City)
- 2016: International Association of Yoga Therapy Certified Yoga Therapist
- 2015: Certified in Myoskeletal Techinques: Lower Body Specialist (Freedom From Pain Institute, Oklahoma City)
- 2014: Certified 300-hour Baptiste yoga instructor, Breath and Body Yoga (Austin)
- 2013: Certified 300-hour Ayurvedic yoga therapist by Seven Centers Yoga Arts (Sedona)
- 2013: Master of Arts from the University of Texas, Austin
- 2010: Certified in Thai-Yoga Bodywork by the Vedic Conservatory (Pensacola)
- 2008: Certified in Myoskeletal Alignment Therapy for the shoulder, neck, and pelvis by Dr. Erik Dalton of the Freedom from Pain Institute (Atlanta)
- 2006: Graduate of Pensacola School of Massage Therapy and Health Careers, licensed to practice massage therapy, scored “High” performance levels in every general content area of the NCETMB (national certification examination for therapeutic massage and bodywork)
Memberships and Affiliations:
- International Association of Yoga Therapy
- Associated Bodywork and Massage Professionals
- National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork
*Julia is no longer taking new clients.